Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Oven-Barbecued Pork Chops

Healthy and very tasty! I never thought I would like anything cooked with orange juice, but it gives the pork a nice zing while getting a dose Vitamin C. I handed this recipe to the boyfriend/chef and he has made it twice already in the past week.

From Eatingwell.com, click here to view the recipe, info, and picture.

Here are the variations we made:

  • Boneless Pork chops
  • Red Onion (no kind was specified in the recipe)
  • Kraft Light Original - Reduced calorie barbecue sauce (Under 30 calories per serving!)
  • Minute Maid 100% Orange Juice - Again, not specified but just mentioning what we used.
  • Vegetable Oil - oil is oil, except I try to not use this because of the soy. I prefer Olive Oil.
  • Chopped carrots in the sauce.
  • He served it over white rice (or brown rice if you're avoiding the white stuff, like I need to be...)

The second time he wanted to make more sauce, so he doubled everything except for the pork chops. Needless to say, the orange juice stood out a little too much, so next time he is going to decrease the OJ.

Family reviews:
The Picky-Eater (the Boyfriend, not the kid!): He likes it, and it was his idea to add the carrots so he can get a bit of veggies in his diet (he hates vegetables).

The small child: He has mixed feelings about the sauce at the moment and hasn't been too happy to see it served, especially on his precious white rice. He has admitted to liking the pork chop with the sauce scraped off.

Me: I thought I would miss my side of veggies and whatnot, but it makes a pretty good meal with the rice alone. I find it very satisfying and it's flavor is terrific!

So even tho the child doesn't fully approve, we grown-ups like it so much that we are going to make it more often. Hooray for having something new for dinner!

No comments: